Tuesday, December 30, 2008

TWIP Assignment Humor


humor0125_n- TWIP Assignment Humor
Originally uploaded by dehmystic.

The TWIP "Humor" assignment got me thinking about just what is humor and what is it that makes something funny. The clasic slapstick joke of putting a tack in someones chair has always puzzled me.... Someone is getting hurt, yet people laugh (me included).... HHHMMMMMMM....

My goal was to clearly show a chair in dramatic light with the word "HUMOR" followed by a question mark spelled out using thumbtacks pointing up. The idea was to get the viewer to question the concept and decide if the old joke was actually funny to them and why. Hopefully I got it at least half way there......

I used a snoot on my Sunpack 333 to direct hard light onto the thumbtacks. I made the snoot out of a couple of sheets of white copy paper so that some soft light would bring out the wood making the chair visible. To get some light onto the chair leg and cross spindle I used a silver reflector. By placing the flash just slightly above the chair seat I was able to get good specular highlights off the tacks and create some shadows from the points. I think the shadows are important because they help draw attention to the fact that they are thumbtacks even when the image is viewed at a small size.

No comments: