Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Crazy / Shallow Depth of Field










This ghostly image is an attempt to complete two projects with one image. The Sunday Afternoon Group assignment last month (I actually missed the deadline) was "Crazy". My original concept for this project was to have an unwitting victim sitting in their living room reading a book and have the shadow of an arm and hand holding a big knife on the wall beside them. After discovering that I didn't have enough space in my living room to set it all up properly I decided to go with something a bit simpler. I thought back to some of the old scary stories I heard as a kid that involved someone escaping from a hospital for the criminally insane so they could sneak up on people and chop off their hands or something. I knew the image should be B&W, there should be a hand and the "crazy" person should not be clearly visible. As I continued to work it out in my mind over the last couple of weeks, I heard on last weeks TWIP (This Week In Photography) pod cast that the new challenge was to be "Shallow Depth Of Field". Right when I heard this something just clicked. I could see in my minds eye exactly what this image should look like. The image you see here is exactly what I visualized. It took me about 10 minutes to set up the lights in the studio, 1 minute set up the camera and about two minutes to capture about 5 images to choose from. The only post processing I did was to convert it to B&W and run it through Neat Image to remove the noise.

Here is the EXIF Data on the shot:

Camera: Canon EOS 30D
Exposure: 0.004 sec (536871/134217728)
Aperture: f/1.3999999761581
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0 EV

No comments: